BJs

BJs

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Just For the Record… 1991


Just For the Record… 1991
So maybe Columbia and Barbra were fooling fans by including a paltry two new songs on A Collection, Greatest Hits…and More. The powers that be knew that Just For The Record was on its way, bringing with it an overwhelming amount of never-before-released Streisand music. This jam-packed collection is something that must be in every Streisand fan's collection -- no question about it! For years -- dating back to 1983 when she told Gene Shalit on the Today show about this project -- Barbra had planned a career retrospective that would begin with an acetate record she made when she was just 12 years old, "You'll Never Know." She'd then end the album with the same song, only done as a grown woman. In between, Barbra offered up rarities from the Columbia vault -- like a young, untested Barbra at the Bon Soir and lost songs like "You Wanna Bet" and "I Can Do It"  -- were presented in chronological order with other lost moments, snippets of Barbra singing her hits, winning awards and more. The 4 CD set was a cornucopia of Barbra and by and large, a great feast for devotees. There are many highlights: "Nobody's Heart Belongs to Me," "A Quiet Thing"/"There Won't Be Trumpets," "Between Yesterday and Tomorrow," "The Moon and I." Undiscovered gem: "The Way We Weren't," the unused song created as the film's love theme.

Disc 1 - The 60's Part I
You'll Never Know
A Sleepin' Bee
Moon River
Miss Marmelstein
Happy Days Are Here Again
Keepin' Out of Mischief Now
I Hate Music
Value
Cry Me a River
Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
I Had Myself a True Love
Lover, Come Back to Me
Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most
My Honey's Lovin' Arms
Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home
When the Sun Comes Out
Be My Guest
Medley 1: Hooray for Love/After You've Gone/By Myself/S'Wonderful/How About You/Lover, Come Back to Me/You and the Night and the Music/It All Depends On You
Medley 2: Get Happy/Happy Days Are Here Again

Disc 2 - The 60's Part II
I'm the Greatest Star
My Man
Auld Lang Syne
People
Second Hand Rose (Barbra & Diana Kind)
Medley: Second Hand Rose; Give Me the Simple Life; I Got Plenty Of Nothin'; Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?; Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out; The Best Things In Life Are Free
1965 Emmy Awards
He Touched Me
You Wanna Bet
House of Flowers
Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Have I Stayed Too Long at the Fair
Look at That Face
Starting Here, Starting Now
A Good Man is Hard to Find/Some of These Days
I'm Always Chasing Rainbows
Sleep in Heavenly Peace (Silent Night)
Don't Rain on My Parade
My Man
1969 Academy Awards
Friar's Club Tribute
Hello, Dolly! (w/Louis Armstrong)
On a Clear Day (You Can See Forever)
When You Gotta Go/In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

Disc 3 - The 70's
The Singer
I Can Do It
Stoney End
(They Long to Be) Close to You
We've Only Just Begun
Since I Fell for You
You're the Top
What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
If I Close My Eyes
Between Yesterday and Tomorrow
Can You Tell the Moment?
The Way We Were [Soundtrack Version]
Cryin' Time (duet w/Ray Charles)
God Bless the Child
A Quiet Thing/There Won't Be Trumpets
Lost Inside of You
Evergreen [Final Version][Demo Version]
1977 Academy Awards
Hatikvah

Disc 4 - The 80's
You Don't Bring Me Flowers (duet w/Neil Diamond)
The Way We Weren't
The Way We Were [Single Version]
Guilty (duet w/Barry Gibb)
Papa, Can You Hear Me? [Demo Version]
The Moon and I [Demo Version]
A Piece of Sky
I Know Him So Well
If I Loved You
Putting It Together
Over the Rainbow
Theme from Nuts
Here We Are at Last
Warm All Over
You'll Never Know (duet w/herself)

Click HERE to return to Barbra's Discography.



No comments:

Post a Comment