BJs

BJs

Friday, May 25, 2012

Funny Girl Soundtrack 1968





Funny Girl Soundtrack 1968
Columbia Records missed the chance to put the Broadway cast album of Funny Girl on vinyl, but they more than made up for it by snagging the movie soundtrack. While Capitol's goal was to get the album out as quickly as possible to take advantage of Barbra's celebrity and chart-topping record sales, Columbia made sure that the soundtrack would be a quality product that would stand the test of time. It would be part of Barbra's catalog and, as such, was given royal treatment. Every one of Barbra's solos is improved upon, like "I'm The Greatest Star" and "Don't Rain on My Parade" both of which benefit from tighter orchestrations, driving tempo and Barbra's impassioned vocals. The "new" material -- that is, songs added that were actual Fanny Brice songs, "I'd Rather Be Blue" and "My Man" -- are positive pluses, and "Sadie, Sadie" and "You Are Woman, I Am Man" are also superior versions. Therefore, it's no wonder that this album rates so high in my estimation. Undiscovered gem: Jule Styne is known for writing great overtures -- his Gypsy, for instance, is a classic. Funny Girl's overture ranks right up there with it.

Overture
I'm the Greatest Star
If A Girl Isn't Pretty
Roller Skate Rag
I'd Rather Be Blue Over You
His Love Makes Me Beautiful
People
You Are Woman, I Am Man
Don't Rain On My Parade
Sadie, Sadie
The Swan
Funny Girl
My Man
Finale


Click HERE to return to Barbra's Discography.

No comments:

Post a Comment